Sunday, March 14, 2010

Ave María!

I was holding out on scans of Daria's editorial to make a post, but time has passed (a lot of time) and I figured now or never. The time is specially fitting seeing as how I found a behind-the-scenes video of the making of Daria's latest editorial in V Magazine - "Ave Maria". Can I just say how much I love vimeo and its HD quality? This video is just endless shots of Daria smoking and posing, but for readers like you I'm sure you'll watch it more than once!


"Ave Maria"V Magazine #64 2010
Daria Werbowy by Mario Testino

Homage editorials are a fixture in Mario Testino's work and Daria is his go-to model for these types of works. She has portrayed everyone from Ava Gardner to an Alfred Hitchcock heroine and now takes her turn as Maria Félix, an icon of the Golden Age in Mexican cinema. Past efforts, although filled with colour and beautiful setting, always came off as too fabricated. I think its in Testino's nature to be too over the top and call in extravagant sets and styling. That's why I am so (pleasantly) surprised at this editorial and its simple set. I love that the focus is called to the styling and Daria's modeling. This editorial brings more justice to a character than an overly produced photo story would, especially in the beautiful fourth shot.


image credits: fashionising

2 comments: